Dictating memos and other business correspondence may seem old-fashioned – but it’s not the dictation that’s old-fashioned; it’s having some poor drudge from the steno pool type it out. The Dragon Dictation app from Nuance Communications takes care of that, turning your spoken words into written e-mails, texts, tweets, memos and more.
Click here to sign up for Tax Pro Today's eNewsletter to get the latest news and behind the scenes commentary you won't find anywhere else.
Powered by the Dragon Naturally Speaking solution from voice-recognition pioneers Dragon, the app is particularly good with creating voice-to-text transcriptions for texts and e-mails, and for submitting text to social networking applications like Twitter and Facebook. It also includes an editing feature that provides a list of suggested words, and a voice-driven correction interface.
It’s a handy tool for when you’re on the road, the train, the bus or anywhere else that typing isn’t convenient, but speaking out loud is. It’s free for the iPhone and iPad.
Missed any of the previous Apps of the Week? View them here:
- Todoist – to-do lists/task organization app
- Secret! – encryption app
- WhatsApp Messenger -- smartphone messenger
- FolderSync – document and file storage
- Cloud Print -- printer access app
- Tempo Smart Calendar -- scheduling app
- Penultimate -- note taking/sharing app
- EchoSign -- eSignature app
- Jump Desktop -- remote desktop app
- Tweetbot -- Twitter app
- Boxer -- email app
- PrintCentral -- digital document printing app
- Save2PDF -- PDF creation app
- PDF Expert -- PDF editing and management app
- Scout GPS -- navigation app
- Timesheet -- time tracking app
- Cloud On -- MS Office app
- Super Note -- note-taker and reminder app
- Air Display -- dual monitor app
- Stickyboard 2 -- iPad whiteboarding app
- Digits Calculator -- calculator app with editable calculations
- LogMeIn -- computer remote control app
- Chrometa 4.0 -- phone time and email capture app
- Scanner Pro -- scan-from-a-mobile-device app