The AICPA announced on Thursday that the Institute honored 24 college students this year for the annual AICPA Foundation Two-Year Transfer Scholarship award. The scholarships are awarded specifically to students transferring from a two-year to four-year college or university to obtain their accounting degrees.
Each student will receive $5,000 in tuition for the 2017-18 academic year. To qualify for the award, students must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and a desire to major in accounting or similar fields at their new school. Transfer students will additionally serve eight hours of service each semester to promote accounting on their respective campuses.
“Community colleges provide an opportunity for a diverse range of students to pursue a path to the accounting profession,” said Joanne Fiore, AICPA vice president of professional media, pathways & inclusion, per a statement. “The AICPA Foundation Two-Year Transfer Scholarship award recognizes each of these exceptional students for their accomplishments both inside and outside the classroom and provides them with resources and mentorship to assist them along their way to obtaining a CPA license.”
The AICPA Foundation Two-Year Transfer Scholarship is part of the AICPA Legacy Scholars program, which has now donated over $2 million in student scholarships since 2011.
The 2017-18 AICPA Foundation Two-Year Transfer Scholarship award recipients, listed in alphabetical order, are as follows, along with the four-year institution they currently attend and the community college they originated from:
- Rachel Browne, University of Maryland University College, Montgomery College
- Jasmine Butler Wayne State University, Oakland Community College
- Ines Carvajal, University of Notre Dame, Miami Dade College
- Jessica Coriz, New Mexico Highlands University, Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute
- Autumn Davis, Fayetteville State University, Fayetteville Technical Community College
- Erin Kilpatrick, Jacksonville State University, Snead State Community College
- Calvin Kimin, Webster University, Saint Louis Community College - Forest Park
- Ekaterina Klokova, Virginia Commonwealth University, Reynolds Community College
- Zhishan Liang, University of Florida, Miami Dade College
- Jessica Martinez, University of Tampa, Hillsborough Community College
- Kevin Alejandro Garcia Meijia, Pace University, Westchester Community College
- Reynier Montalvan, University of Texas at Austin, Miami Dade College
- Abel Ngegba, Pace University, Westchester Community College
- Kaitlyn O'Keefe, Delta State University, Hinds Community College
- Matthew Pandolfo, The University of Texas at Dallas, Tarrant County College
- Larisa Pena, Rowan University, Camden County College
- Paola Rodriguez Ponce de Leon, Pace University, Westchester Community College
- Tamra Seib, Texas A&M - Central Texas, Barton Community College
- Deer Sherifu, Baruch College of CUNY, Bronx Community College of CUNY
- William Skudlarek, University of Southern California, College of DuPage
- David Storm, University of Central Florida, Walters State Community College
- Michelle Thompson, University of the District of Columbia, University of the District of Columbia Community College
- Albert Urbieta, Arizona State University, South Mountain Community College
- Aquella White, University of Connecticut, Westchester Community College
For more on the Two-Year Transfer Scholarship, head to the award's site here.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access