Washington (Nov. 13, 2003) -- The Internal Revenue Service has unveiled e-services, a suite of Internet-based tools that enables users access to client information and provides tax professionals with more options for working electronically with the IRS.
The three new e-services tools are:
• Registration. Preparers must register online to create an electronic account. The registration process is a one-time process.
• Preparer Tax Identification Number Application or PTIN application. This allows paid preparers to receive a PTIN immediately online, and eliminates the need to complete and mail a paper Form W-7P.
• Interactive Taxpayer Identification Number Matching, or TIN Matching. This is a pre-filing service offered to banks or others that pay income subject to backup withholding. Authorized payers can match up to 25 taxpayer identification number and name combinations against IRS records before submitting an information return.
Preparers can register for e-services through the Tax Professional's page on IRS.gov.
-- Web CPA staff
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access