International network BDO is celebrating its 50th anniversary with BDO 50 for 50, a global campaign encouraging the network’s independent member firms to donate at least 50 hours of professional or practical assistance to charities and community organizations in their local communities.
BDO USA’s “Week of Service” was specially recognized by the network for going above and beyond the goals of the initiative, impacting communities across the country through more than 2,000 hours of donated time.
At an annual conference in Hamburg where BDO recently celebrated 50 years, 39 total member firms were recognized for donating their time as part of the 50 for 50 initiative.
During their Week of Service, BDO USA staff volunteered 2,126 hours and raised or donated more than $18,000 for causes impacting more than 28,000 people. Initiatives included:
• Volunteering at local food banks
• Cleaning up parks and city streets
• Making care packages for American soldiers and working with war veterans
• Walking dogs from local animal shelters
• Collecting and delivering toys to young cancer patients
• Volunteering at homeless shelters
• Fundraising for and participating in 5K races and triathlons
• Collecting and donating items to local women’s shelters
• Donating, collecting and delivering school supplies to local schools
The Week of Service is part of BDO USA’s year-round BDO Counts initiative, a community outreach program encouraging BDO professionals to give back to the communities across the country where BDO does business.
"I'd like to thank everyone who participated in this year's Week of Service," said BDO Counts task force chair Mike Soza in a statement. "These efforts provide a unique opportunity to contribute to worthwhile causes, while building teamwork and fostering a sense of community within our firm. The BDO network's 50 for 50 campaign was a great way to raise the bar on how we give back on a global scale and certainly spurred us to do more here in the U.S. I can only hope next year will be as successful."