What's in a name?In business, a lot. A good company name can do a lot of your marketing for you, provided you choose correctly. Some things to consider:
* Names that limit growth. Geographic names, for instance, can make it hard to expand your range, as can names that include the services you currently offer.
* Who else has it? Web searches, county clerks, your state's secretary of state and the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (www.uspto.gov) can tell you who might have picked a particular name before you.
* Alphabet soup. Worrying about your spot in lists can go too far - "AAA Accounting" may put you at the front of the phone book, but it borders on nonsense.
* How do you pronounce that? Names that are too long, or difficult to pronounce or spell, are no good.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access