Stephen Baldwin, a member of the Baldwin family of actors that also includes his brothers Alec, William and Daniel, appeared Friday in a Rockland County, N.Y., courtroom and paid $100,000 of the $343,068 that he owes New York State in back personal income taxes, penalty and interest.
Baldwin, 47, of Upper Grandview, N.Y., appeared Friday morning before Judge Charles P. Apotheker in Rockland County Court and presented a certified check to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. Following an investigation conducted by the Tax Department's Criminal Investigations Division and the Rockland County District Attorney, Thomas P. Zugibe, Baldwin was arrested in December 2012 and arraigned on one count of Repeated Failure to File Personal Income Tax Returns, a class E felony (see Stephen Baldwin Arrested for Failing to Pay State Taxes).
According to the charges, Balwdwin failed to file New York State personal income tax returns for 2008, 2009, and 2010. His total outstanding tax liability due to New York State at that time, including penalties and interest, was more than $300,000.
The 47-year-old actor has appeared in movies such as “The Usual Suspects,” “Threesome,” “Bio-dome” and “The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas,” in addition to a stint on reality TV trying to become Donald Trump’s “Celebrity Apprentice.”
In March of this year, Baldwin pleaded guilty to felony tax charges brought against him. At the time, he also agreed to pay an additional $300,000 by the time of his sentencing in March 2014. His next court date is scheduled for January 10 before Judge Apotheker.
"I thank District Attorney Zugibe for his tireless work in prosecuting this case," New York State Commissioner of Taxation and Finance Thomas H. Mattox said in a statement. "It shows that, regardless of a person's occupation or financial situation, all New Yorkers must meet their obligation to pay their fair share of income taxes in a timely manner."
Mattox added that New York State’s Tax Department often arranges installment payment agreements to help taxpayers fulfill their filing requirements voluntarily. "We work diligently with taxpayers to address issues before they escalate,” he said. “If you have a tax debt, don't hesitate - take action and contact us to resolve your situation."
In New York State, 96 percent of taxes are paid by businesses and individuals who voluntarily meet their tax responsibilities, the Tax Department noted. The remaining 4 percent is collected through the Tax Department's audit, collections and criminal investigations programs.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access