AWSCPA honors president, awards over $25K in scholarships
On January 12, the American Woman's Society of Certified Public Accountants (AWSCPA) Georgia chapter held a celebration dinner at the Magnolia Hall in Atlanta, which both honored the 35-plus year career of the Society's president, Varley Simons, as well as the decades of support the society has dedicated to women and their CPA careers.
After receiving her CPA in 1968. Simons organized the Georgia Affiliate of the AWSCPA, the AWSCPA of Georgia, in 1982 and became its first President. She later became president of the national AWSCPA in 1988.
Simons received an award inscribed with the words of the late Maya Angelou: “Let nothing dim the light that shines from within,” with the president herself commenting, “I didn’t think anyone would remember me 35 years later,” per a statement.
The evening also saw the awarding of scholarships, valued at over $25,000, to young professionals in honor of Simons. Recipients included:
- Tina Pak, Georgia State University;
- Eunjung Lee, Georgia State University;
- Shyanne Murfiled and Brice McKnight (not pictured), Georgia Southern University;
- Shantel Dawson, Kennesaw State University
- Theophilus Ankamah, Georgia Southern University