Danetha Doe is taking her "Future of Accounting" podcast on tour. The tour, which will hit six U.S. cities, will cover branding for accountants, which Doe thinks is the number-one skill accountants will need to stay ahead of the curve. Broadly, she will also discuss how technology is impacting the profession.
The podcast, which has earned 10,000 downloads since its founding in August 2017, was created by Doe as a “way for [her] to connect with other thought leaders within the profession to provide a way for up and coming leaders to learn from them,” Doe said.
“When I first started my career, I was eager to find a CPA who would mentor me,” she explained. “But, everyone I asked did not have the time or wasn't interested. My hope is that this podcast serves as a virtual mentor to other go-getter young professionals, like me, that just need a little bit of guidance, insight and encouragement.”
So far, guests on the "Future of Accounting" podcast have included Barry Melancon, CEO of the American Institute of CPAS, and Jina Etienne, former president and CEO of the National Association of Black Accountants.
Doe began her career as the staff accountant for Mammoth Mountain Ski Area, a resort in California. In 2012, Doe founded Money & Mimosas, a money mentorship program for women that she still runs; and the following year, she launched her branding consultancy. Her clients have included Xero, QuickBooks and Sage, as well as companies outside the accounting world like Google and Audi.
The "Future of Accounting" Tour kicks off on May 15, with Avalara as the head sponsor. Tour dates and locations are listed below. For registration and other information, click here.
- May 15 - Sacramento, California hosted by the Sacramento-Roseville Woodard group
- May 18 - Phoenix, Arizona hosted by the Accounting and Financial Women's Alliance (AFWA)
- May 23 - Seattle, Washington hosted by the Accounting and Financial Women's Alliance (AFWA)
- May 24 - Seattle, Washington hosted by the Talk & Swap for Accounting Professionals
- June 26 - Austin, Texas hosted by the Austin Woodard Group
- August 13 - Portland, Oregon hosted by the Portland Woodard group
- September 25- Tennessee Society of CPAs Women's Summit Conference