Data from individual income tax returns show that taxpayers realized net capital gains of $914 billion in 2007 but only $37 billion for 2009, according to the most recent issue of the IRS’s Statistics of Income Bulletin.
The Spring 2013 issue features information on high-income individual income tax returns filed for tax year 2010.Taxpayers filed almost 4.3 million returns with adjusted gross income of $200,000 or more for 2010, representing some 3 percent of all returns filed for the tax year.
This issue also includes statistics on:
- Non-resident alien estate tax: Executors for estates of non-resident aliens filed 1,887 returns in filing years 2009 to 2011, predominantly for estates of decedents who died between 2007 and 2010. Data from these returns showed an overall decline in the total gross estate and net estate tax owed.
- Municipal bonds: This market remained dominated by almost 22,000 tax-exempt governmental bonds issued in 2010, raising $293.6 billion for public projects such as schools, transportation infrastructure and utilities.
- International boycott reports: For tax year 2010, about 132 U.S. entities received 3,200 requests to participate in unsanctioned international boycotts, down from 160 U.S. entities and 3,500 requests in 2009.
The Bulletin is available for download online; print copies can be purchased from the Superintendent of Documents, U.S. Government Printing Office, P.O. Box 371954, Pittsburgh, PA 15250-7954. Annual subscriptions are also available.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access