Overseas taxpayers get another ITIN option

Register now

The IRS has expanded options for taxpayers who live abroad and need to get an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to file U.S. taxes.

International U.S. taxpayers can now visit a U.S.-based certified acceptance agent, or a CAA located abroad.

There are acceptance agents in Australia and New Zealand, Canada, many European countries, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Japan, Mexico, and several other countries. (https://www.irs.gov/individuals/acceptance-agent-program). Note that not all acceptance agents are certified.

Previously, these taxpayers had to mail a W-7, Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification, and required ID documents to the IRS or had to visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in the U.S.

For reprint and licensing requests for this article, click here.