Salem, Mass. (April 2, 2004) -- As taxpayers and their accountants scramble to complete their tax returns before the April 15 deadline, Taxware, a provider of tax calculation and compliance software for businesses, has compiled a list of the 10 most unusual sales tax laws for 2004.
10. In Ohio, a gift basket of fruit or candy isn't subject to sales tax, as the "true object sought is the food items contained within," not the basket. However, a lead crystal candy dish full of candy would be fully taxable, since the dish is considered a decorative container.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access