Accounting School Guide, an online resource created to "give accounting students an unbiased, accurate assessment of different accounting schools and degrees," recently listed their ranking of their top 10 online accounting schools for undergraduates.
Northeastern University topped the list, followed by Pennsylvania State University and Brescia University.
The ranking took into account online programs in which the following designations could be earned
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Certified Internal Auditor
- Certified Information Systems Auditor
- Certified Government Auditing Professional
- And Certified Bank Auditor (CBA)
Accounting School Guide based their rankings on three, equal factors:
- Selectivity: The acceptance rate of the program relative to over 100 surveyed online accounting programs.
- Reputation: How the online program compares to other rankings in Forbes and US News.
- Flexibility: How flexible programs are for working or adult students. Accelerated courses, life experience credit, transfer policies, and different specializations were considered.
On the top ranked Northeastern University, the Guide noted that their Bachelor of Science in Finance and Accounting Management program "centers around a broad understanding of finance and accounting, as well as on how to manage others in the sector in the workplace." And while the program doesn't require as many accounting-only courses as similar programs, students are expected to leave with a strong knowledge of financial reporting and analysis, taxes, cost accounting, and financial statement analysis.
Accounting School Guide's top 10 online accounting schools for undergrad degrees are as follows:
- 1. Northeastern University
- 2. Pennsylvania State University - Global Campus
- 3. Brescia University
- 4. Florida Atlantic University
- 5. Elizabethtown College
- 6. Florida Institute of Technology
- 7. Regis University
- 8. The University of Memphis
- 9. Troy University
- 10. Belhaven University
For the full list and more on Accounting School Guide, head to their site here.