[IMGCAP(1)]Regardless of how you voted in the election, changes will be coming. While every election produces a certain amount of unrest, this one has significantly more implications for CPA firms. Your clients will be looking for your help to navigate the waters. If you haven’t already been planning for this, here are four things you should be considering to capitalize on post-election marketing opportunities:
1. Planning opportunities. While tax law changes still seem uncertain, there are still planning opportunities you can take advantage of now. I am far from a tax expert, but my research tells me that planning opportunities include:
• Accelerating year-end bonuses
• Exercising qualified stock options
• Selling your business
• Planning for the expiration of the Bush tax cuts, AMT Patch, and many other provisions
2. Communicating tax change alerts. As congress passes, extends, or just lets ride various legislation, it will be important to communicate this to your clients. Don’t have time to write? Never fear, some of our profession’s well-respected content vendors like PDI Global or Biz Actions can help you out.
3. Educate your clients on changes. Some significant changes will require more than just an alert or e-communication. For example, the new healthcare reform. Consider hosting a live event or webinar or recording a webinar and posting it to your website for on-demand viewing. Don’t forget to promote this through traditional and digital channels.
4. New consulting lines. Capitalizing on changes could also mean creating entirely new services to help your clients navigate the more significant changes. Not only does this create a new revenue stream for your firm, but services like these tend to be more highly valued by the client. Not sure where to begin? Start by having some conversations with your clients to determine what they know, what they don’t know and where they feel like they need help.
What are you doing to help your clients navigate the changes?
Sarah Johnson is the chief growth strategist with Inovautus Consulting, a firm that works with CPA, law and professional service firms to help them grow more effectively, and author of “Practical Ideas for Growth,” a blog dedicated to growing professional firms. Her counsel and strategies have helped move firms to the next level in their marketing and sales efforts. Connect with Sarah at 773-208-7170, firstname.lastname@example.org, or www.linkedin.com/in/sjjohnson.