More Accounting Tomorrow Posts

Why you should join Google Plus now (and how)

July 6, 2011

You might have noticed that Google launched a new suite of social media and productivity apps, collectively named Google+, last week. You can get the lowdown on the apps straight from Google here.

Why do you care?

Well, for many reasons, but most importantly for your practice or your career, because Google appears to give priority to Google+ profiles in search results.

I have been googling myself and two friends with longstanding online professional presences for the last two days. Our Google+ profiles have come up above our other social media profiles (LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter) every time. In fact, my Google+ profile has come up above my website about half the time. Thus, if you want your name to appear close to the top of search results, you now must have a Google+ profile.

How to get a Google+ profile

1.      Join Google+. Click the information link in the first paragraph of this post and then click “Join.”

2.      Google has been doling out the invites at a glacial clip. If they ask you to wait, send me an email. I will share a hack with you that has worked so far.

3.      Read Google+’s brief and informative Privacy Guide here.

4.      Follow the instructions to set up your profile here.

Get your vanity Google+ URL ASAP

After you set up your profile, grab your vanity URL ASAP. If you’re a CPA, and always expect to earn your living as a CPA, I suggest using your name followed by CPA. If not, use your name.

Get on it now before someone else grabs your name and you have to be something like DonnaSvei318 for the rest of your career.

BTW, Google+ only lets you tie one vanity URL to your profile. I tried to get more…

Donna Svei, CPA, CFE is an executive search consultant and resume writer. Monster.com named her one of their “11 for 2011: Career Experts Who Can Help Your Job Search.” Donna blogs at AvidCareerist.com. You will find her on GooglePlus at gplus.to/donnasvei and on LinkedIn at http://www.linkedin.com/in/donnasvei . Donna can be reached at (208) 721-0131 or donnasvei@gmail.com.

Comments (10)
I forget to put my email
It is
Haitham6633@gmail.com
Posted by Haitham | Friday, July 15 2011 at 6:12AM ET
Hi Donna
Please invite me:)

Haitham m Almeshari
Posted by Haitham | Friday, July 15 2011 at 6:04AM ET
Hi Donna, can you please send me an invite in my gmail accnt. : edric.sia@gmail.com

Thanks!
Satoshi
Posted by satoshi_kawashi | Thursday, July 14 2011 at 8:02AM ET
Nice post..
Posted by Nabeel Shaukat Butt | Monday, July 11 2011 at 12:40PM ET
Hello Donna i am trying to join google+ but it is asked me to wait so can you please share the hack with me.I would be extremely thankful to you. So plzz share with me a hack
plzz send me on abhi.chitput@gmail.com
Posted by abhinaviskool | Friday, July 08 2011 at 9:09AM ET
Hey Donna great article, that make sense for Google they will get a lot of google+ users that way. A Google+ profile would really help me with my photography business. Can u possibly send me a request at sharebinc@gmail. I would appreciate it.
Posted by markj287 | Thursday, July 07 2011 at 7:10PM ET
Yes, that's the site I was warned about. I wouldn't promote it, it's not a legitimate Google site. A programmer friend of mine pointed out it is a Turkish traceroute, with a "high risk of danger" URL. They may attempt to spam you in the future, or they may just do a bait & switch, or they may not do anything at all. Either way, it's not worth the risk.

Best to use either your Google Profile (if you ever claimed your Google Profile, then profiles.google.com/yourname now points to your G+ account. If not I don't see a way to set up a Google Profile now) or set up a Bit.ly one - which is a known and trusted service. (bonus of tracking & QR codes! I snagged http://bit.ly/gplusraissa)
Posted by Raissa E | Thursday, July 07 2011 at 9:38AM ET
Raissa,

"...get your vanity URL..." should be linked to this post at the Tech18.com website: http://tech18.com/create-short-url-google-profile.html. I left that out of the draft post I sent Danielle. I've emailed her to ask her to do the link. Thank you for asking!

Donna
Posted by donnasvei | Wednesday, July 06 2011 at 11:59AM ET
Raissa,

I'm going to see if I can get one of the guys at Tech18.com to answer your question.

Donna
Posted by donnasvei | Wednesday, July 06 2011 at 11:42AM ET
Hi Donna, thanks for posting this helpful information. One question - how do you determine your vanity URL? Of the one link I've seen, [http://gplus.to/] I had a programmer friend look into it and warn against this site. It does not look legitimate on the backend.

However, there are two ways to get a temporary vanity url. You could use bit.ly and create a temporary redirect (bonus: tracking stats), or you can also use profiles.google.com/yourname which will link directly to your Google+ page (it's auto-imposed by what you type as your username, which changes it on all Google sites).

If you've found a different way, please share! Everyone is looking forward to this feature.
Posted by Raissa E | Wednesday, July 06 2011 at 11:11AM ET