Two major accounting associations have announced the recipients of research grants for the 2007-08 year.
The American Institute of CPAs, in collaboration with the American Accounting Association’s Management Accounting Section, awarded a trio of grants for the upcoming year, after increasing the award totals from $50,000 to $75,000 in the second year of the grant program.
Grants were awarded to the following researchers to study business topics the associations deemed critical to the accounting profession:
- “Management Control of Foreign Sourcing Relationships” -- Frank H. Selto and Ramiro Montealegre of the Leeds School of Business at the University of Colorado-Boulder and Thomas L.C.M. Groot of Vrije University in the Netherlands.
- “ERM: Critical Success Factors in the Value Creation Process” -- Mark Beasley, Bonnie Hancock and Bruce Branson of the North Carolina State University College of Management’s Enterprise Risk Management Initiative.
- “Strategic Change, Incentive Systems and Firm Performance: Evidence from Corporate Turnarounds” -- Xiaoling Chen and Jianxin Gong of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
The researchers participating in the management control project received $40,000, while the remaining projects each received $18,000. A year ago, three grants were made in varying amounts.
“[We] expanded our scope of topics, identifying strategic management, performance management and risk management as key areas of interest reflecting the challenges that our members in business and industry face,” said the AICPA’s vice president for members in business, industry and government, John Morrow, in a statement.
The researchers are expected to complete their work by July 2008 and publish the results in a major academic journal.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access