AICPA announces 2019 Leadership Academy graduates
The American Institute of CPAs has announced the 36 graduates of its 2019 Leadership Academy, the annual four-day workshop held in Durham, North Carolina.
The AICPA Leadership Academy looks to offer young CPAs a hands-on learning program with topics ranging from leadership training to professional networking. This year's class heard from a number of industry leaders, including AICPA chair Bill Reeb; president and CEO of the AICPA Barry Melancon; and Mark Koziel, executive vice president of firm services for the Association of International Certified Professional Accountants. This year’s class included participants from 31 states, while the average age of participants was 32.
“It’s an exciting time to be a young leader in the accounting profession," said Bill Reeb, per a statement. "This year’s Leadership Academy class is an impressive group of diverse professionals who are well-positioned to take the next step in their careers. New technology is disrupting the profession and creating new opportunities and challenges for CPAs. These talented CPAs are a great example of the forward-thinking leaders who will not only help steer us through this transition but lead us beyond it.”
Leadership Academy attendees were recommended by their employers or state CPA societies. Candidates submitted their resumes and a statement explaining how the Leadership Academy would help them both personally and professionally. Participants also wrote an essay, answering the question, “The future will bring significant changes to the accounting profession. What do leaders have to get right, in order to successfully lead?”
“The Leadership Academy really helped me identify what skills I need as I establish myself as a leader in the profession,” stated Brittany Cummings, a 2019 Leadership Academy graduate. “The program has given me the tools and confidence to navigate our changing profession successfully and strengthened my confidence that I am steering my career in the direction I want it to go.”
The full 2019 Leadership Academy class, in alphabetical order, is as follows:
- Lauren Aldrich — Heard, McElroy, & Vestal, LLC, Shreveport, La.
- Robert Allen — The Allen CPA Firm, PLLC, Houston, Texas
- Karen Bartlett — O'Brien Shortle Reynolds & Sabotka, Rutland, Vt.
- Jose Borbon — Kearny Bank, Fairfield, N.J.
- Chris Brown — Beall Barlcay & Company, PLC, Fort Smith, Ark.
- Clara Cohen — Bedrock Wealth Strategies, Elmsford, N.Y.
- Kelly Crow — Reynolds, Bone & Griesbeck PLC, Memphis, Tenn.
- Brittany Cummings — BKD, Springfield, Mo.
- Sarah Flischel — Kundinger, Corder, & Engle, P.C., Denver
- Jessica Foster — Cohen & Company, Youngstown, Ohio
- Austin Foust — HoganTaylor, LLP, Tulsa, Okla.
- Amanda Gessner — Schmitz-Holmstrom, LLP, Bismarck, N.D.
- Matt Heo — Aronson LLC, Rockville, Md.
- Michael Jamison — OnTarget CPA, Indianapolis
- Andrew Jordan — Jordan CPA Services, Carthage, Mo.
- Shakor Jukes — Target, Minneapolis
- Brian Klintworth — HBE LLP, Lincoln, Neb.
- Jennifer Koffman — Bellows Associates, PA, Plantation, Fla.
- Ryan LaRue — StoneTurn, Boston
- James McGettigan — Stoker Ostler, a part of BMO Financial Group, Scottsdale, Ariz.
- Lacy McMoarn — Marcum LLP, Portland, Maine
- Jessica Mytrohovich — Georgia Society of CPAs, Atlanta
- Eugene Park — HeinfeldMeech Co. P.C., Phoenix
- Becky Peterson — Woltman Group, Sioux Falls, S.D.
- Colin Proctor — Marshall Retail Group, Las Vegas
- Charlene Rhinehart — CEO Unlimited LLC, Chicago
- Alexandria Romero — McPherson, Goodrich, Paolucci & Mihelich, PC, Pueblo, Colo.
- Adam Schrom — Bloomberg BNA, Arlington, Va.
- Navneet Sharma — KNAV P.A., Atlanta
- Jordyn Sherman — Advantis Credit Union, Clackamas, Ore.
- Ashley Sullivan — Haddox Reid Eubank Betts PLLC, Jackson,Miss.
- Dalton Sweaney — Gray, Salt & Associates, LLP, Claremont, Calif.
- Jana Walker — Northwestern Oklahoma State University, Alva, Okla.
- Brittany Wilson — MHP, LLP, Cheyenne, Wyo.
- Kendall Wilson — Dixon Hughes Goodman, Raleigh, N.C.
- Samantha Young — Cohos Advisors, Lancaster, N.H.
The application period for the 2020 Leadership Academy is currently open and available on the AICPA's site here.