Firms giving back: EY holds 2018 'Connect Day'
EY holds annual 'Connect Day'
Big Four firm EY held its annual Connect Day last week, with 23,600 staff members helping approximately 650 nonprofit organizations across the U.S., Canada, Israel, and Latin America for its day of service.
Since the firm's first Connect Day in 2010, EY staff have volunteered some 650,000 hours towards nonprofits.
New this year was the inclusion of 24 "Innovation Days" held across the country via the firm's partnership with the Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship. The Innovation Days connect students with volunteers in order to develop their own future-forward business ideas for the NFTE's "World Series of Innovation" challenges.
“We have worked with NFTE for nearly two decades, and we are thrilled to deepen our relationship to help activate the entrepreneurial mindsets of the next generation,” stated Deborah Holmes, EY Americas director of corporate responsibility. “EY Connect Day provides the perfect opportunity for our people to leverage their business skills to coach and mentor young people to be the innovative and entrepreneurial thinkers who will drive economic growth in the future.”
For more on Connect Day, head to EY's site here.
UHY adopts rescue dog for Michigan offices
Top 100 firm UHY Advisors recently launched a pilot program in its Sterling Heights, Mich. office, fostering a dog from a local shelter.
Annie, an 11-year-old Shih Tzu from Midwest Small Breed Rescue, is available for walks to relieve staff member stress in its Sterling Heights and three other Michigan offices. She is available for individual office/cubicle visits, and even a night or two at home. She is also available for adoption by staff members and acquaintances.
For more on UHY, head to the firm's site here.
Oregon Society of CPAs volunteers for statewide 'Day of Service'
The Oregon Society of CPA held its third annual CPA Day of Service on September 21 and 22, 2018.
The Day of Service sees professionals across the state help serve their local communities and spread awareness about the CPA profession. 150 volunteers representing 13 firms participated in all.
Participating firms and their volunteer locations include:
· Alten Sakai & Company, Portland (7 volunteers) – Oregon Food Bank, Beaverton
· Boldt Carlisle & Smith, Portland, Albany, and Stayton (27 volunteers) – Marion-Polk Food Share
· Christina Bristol of Kern & Thompson, Portland – Portland Polish Festival
· Culshaw and Company, Portland (2 volunteers) – Portland Polish Festival
· C S Bray Accounting, West Linn (4 volunteers) – Craft + Boogie, Portland
· Deloitte LLP, Portland (14 volunteers) – SOLVE: North Clackamas Watershed
· Grove, Mueller, & Swank PC, Salem (25 volunteers) – Marion-Polk Food Share
· Isler Group, Klamath Falls-Merrill (16 volunteers) – Klamath-Lake Counties Food Bank, Klamath Falls
· McDonald Jacobs PC, Portland (3 volunteers) – Best Friends Animal Society’s 2018 Portland Strut Your Mutt event
· Merina & Company, West Linn (19 volunteers) – Craft + Boogie, Portland
· Oregon Society of CPAs South Coast Chapter (9 volunteers) – Egyptian Theatre, Coos Bay
· Ortquist & Associates PC, Portland (19 volunteers) – SnowCap Community Charities, Gresham
· PlanB Assurance Services, Lake Oswego (4 volunteers) – Craft + Boogie, Portland
For more on the Oregon Society of CPAs, head to the organization's site here.