Illinois CPA Society announces 2019 'Mary T. Washington' program grads
The Illinois CPA Society has announced that more than two dozen minority accounting college students have graduated from its 2019 Mary T. Washington Wylie Internship Preparation Program, which offers three days of training to help young professionals fully prepare for their first real-world experiences in accounting.
The Internship Preparation Program is funded by donations to the CPA Endowment Fund of Illinois’ Mary T. Washington Wylie Opportunity Fund. The program honors the legacy of Mary T. Washington, the first African-American female CPA in the country, by advancing diversity in the profession and providing opportunities for minority accounting students to succeed.
Representatives from firms, including the Big Four, Crowe and Grant Thornton, were on hand to present sessions and interview students for paid accounting internships. All participating students received a $500 scholarship to go toward their educational expenses.
The 2019 Mary T. Washington Wylie Internship Preparation Program class, in alphabetical order, is as follows:
- Maram Abdullah - Western Illinois University
- Robert Addo - University of Illinois at Chicago
- Zeeshan Ahmed - DePaul University
- Morayma Barron - University of St. Francis
- Daisja Burns - Purdue University Northwest
- Davonte Carson - Ball State University
- Carmen Flores - College of DuPage
- Bernard Forson - University of Illinois at Chicago
- Rabella Giyo - Judson University
- Manuel Gonzalez - Harold Washington College
- Amari Hall - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Emani James - Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- Starletta Keene - Judson University
- Grant Losper - Bradley University
- Stephanie Mbi - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Noe Navarro - Governors State University
- Jennile O'Connor - Loyola University Chicago
- Raven Overton-Price - Western Illinois University
- Samantha Perez - Triton College
- Michael Romero - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Lucas Simon - Augustana College
- Brittany Sims - Governors State University
- Jeren Stewart - Monmouth College
- Cierra Walls - Western Illinois University
- Lorenzo Watson-Lemarche - Aurora University
For more on the Mary T. Washington Preparation Program, head to the ICPAS' site here.