The Internal Revenue Service has  released final regulations for filing a claim for credit or refund to provide guidance to taxpayers as to the proper place to file a claim for credit or refund.

The final regulations clarify that, unless otherwise directed, the proper place to file a claim for credit or refund is with the service center at which the taxpayer currently would be required to file a tax return for the type of tax to which the claim relates, regardless of where the tax was paid or required to be paid.

The regulations have been updated to reflect changes made by Section 1210 of the Tax Reform Act of 1976, the Internal Revenue Service Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998, and the Community Renewal Tax Relief Act of 2000.

They were also updated to reflect that the IRS may prescribe additional claim forms.

Register or login for access to this item and much more

All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.

Community members receive:
  • All recent and archived articles
  • Conference offers and updates
  • A full menu of enewsletter options
  • Web seminars, white papers, ebooks

Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access