MACPA announces 2019 Leadership Academy graduates
Twenty more accounting professionals have graduated from the Maryland Association of CPAs’ Leadership Academy, the three-day program focused on building future-forward skills.
Held Aug. 21-23, 2019, in conjunction with MACPA's learning affiliate the Business Learning Institute, the Leadership Academy focuses on the "unique skills tomorrow’s leaders will need to take their organizations to the next level and help their people grow and flourish," according to the state society. These skills include strengths-based leadership, giving and receiving feedback, anticipating future trends and teamwork.
“The skills we’re going to need to lead this profession into the future are evolving as we speak,” stated Tom Hood, president and CEO of MACPA and the Business Learning Institute. “These young professionals soaked up those skills like a sponge. They’re talented, they’re eager, and they’re ready to lead their organizations and their profession into a changing and complex future.”
“The MACPA-BLI Leadership Academy is now in its ninth year,” added MACPA chair Ray Speciale in a statement, “and it’s one of our top priorities in helping our profession become even more future-ready during this Fourth Industrial Revolution.”
Three of the Business Learning Institute’s thought leaders — Tom Hood, Rebekah Brown and Bill Sheridan — were also present for the Leadership Academy sessions. Graduates participated in collaborative group exercises, a group dinner and heard insights from former AICPA chair Kimberley Ellison-Taylor and former MACPA chair Smantha Bowling as part of the program.
Graduates of the 2019 MACPA and BLI Leadership Academy, in alphabetical order, include:
- Lauren Baker — Maryland Association of CPAs
- Laura Ballard — Exelon
- Comora Brock — King, King and Associates
- Michele Evans — iRF Intelligent RF Solutions
- Amanda Girton — Wagner & Associates, CPA, LLC
- Alan Goodwin — Melanson Heath
- Eli Hernandez — Bridgeway Community Church
- Carrie Karn — Hildebrand Limparis & Associates
- Naji Lakkis — DeLeon and Stang
- Philip LaRosa — WithumSmith + Brown
- Blaine McGrath — Cohen & Company
- Chuk Onuaku — KPMG LLP
- Brian Richards — Hildebrand, Limparis and Associates
- Deborah Saneman — Kelly Payroll
- Matthew Sawyer — Melanson Heath
- Lisa Seemann — Orlo Management
- Jared Sorber — Bridgeway Community Church
- Chris Stang — DeLeon and Stang
- Jennifer Stevens — Maryland Association of CPAs
- Matthew Young — WithumSmith+Brown, PC
For more on the Leadership Academy, head to MACPA's site here.