* FICPA HELPS RESIDENTS WITH FINANCIAL GOALS: Members of the Florida Institute of CPAs have reached out to help Floridians struggling with financial issues to get back on track through "360 Degrees of Financial Literacy," the nationwide initiative designed to provide financial education to the public."360 Degrees of Financial Literacy" task force members Ken Strauss, Doug Day, James Luffman, Alberto Manrara, Marty Prague and Nancy Soderholm are working with CPA volunteers from Tallahassee to Miami to offer financial literacy presentations that address issues including budgeting, saving, investing, credit cards and the financial effects of major life changes.
According to a 2004 survey released by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research Inc. on the financial health of Floridians:
* More than one-third of survey respondents had more debt than savings or investments;
* About 25 percent put nothing aside each month for retirement, while another 25 percent waited until they were in their 40s or 50s;
* Almost one in five reported having suffered a financial crisis due to medical expenses, a job loss or a divorce; and,
* More than 80 percent of Floridians responding had credit cards, and more than 50 percent reported debt levels ranging from $2,000 to $20,000.
* DILLON NAMED REGIONAL VP AT U.S. WEALTH: Larry Dillon has been named regional vice president of business development in the Southeast for U.S. Wealth Management, a firm specializing in providing financial services programs through CPA firm affiliates.
In his new role, Dillon will be responsible for the growth of U.S. Wealth Management in Nevada, Arizona and Southern California. He brings more than 25 years of marketing and management experience to his new position. Prior to joining U.S. Wealth Management, Dillon was a senior territory manager for financial and tax software publisher CCH Inc., and a vice president for a division of Pacific Telesis.
* INTUIT ENTERS FINANCIAL PLANNING MARKET: Intuit, which is ramping up an aggressive expansion of its product line for small businesses, is also jumping into the financial planning market.
In November, the company plans to release PortfolioMinder, a Web-based system that will be available for an annual subscription of $1,800. The system is designed for independent financial advisors with fewer than 100 clients.
The program was outlined by Peter Karpas, vice president and general manager of the Quicken Solutions Group, at Intuit's recent annual Investor Day. The application is the first of what was described as six potential offerings for automating advisor's workflows.
PortfolioMinder enables advisors to collect and manage clients' investment data and view their client lists, assets under management, and all portfolios that contain a particular security. Advisors can also give clients personalized Web pages.
- Robert W. Scott
* ALLIANZ MAKES $500K GRANT TO FFP: The Foundation for Financial Planning - a nonprofit group created to connect the financial planning community with people who need planning help - said that Allianz Global Investors Distributors has provided a $500,000 grant to the foundation.
The grant will help sustain the foundation's endowment fund and its grants to nonprofit organizations throughout the country. Allianz is a provider of investment programs for the financial planning and services community. It provides access to Allianz-owned investment firms through the PIMCO Funds and Allianz Funds, as well as managed accounts and closed-end funds.
An example of programs supported by FFP grants is the National Financial Planning Support Center. Founded in 2001, the NFPC provides assistance to families impacted by the events of 9/11, and offers pro bono financial planning to military families, including reservists, members of the National Guard and those returning home who have been wounded in action.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access