The summer wedding season is well underway, and the Internal Revenue Service thought it would be nice to give a little advice to those of you who recently said “I do.” If you -- or your clients -- follow these seven tips, you will likely have an easier time when tax season rolls around.

1. Notify the Social Security Administration. Report any name change to the Social Security Administration so your name and Social Security number will match when you file your next tax return. File a Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, at your local SSA office. The form is available on SSA’s website at, by calling (800) 772-1213 or at local offices.

Register or login for access to this item and much more

All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.

Community members receive:
  • All recent and archived articles
  • Conference offers and updates
  • A full menu of enewsletter options
  • Web seminars, white papers, ebooks

Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access