Accounting Degree Review, an online resource for accounting education and related topics, recently published their 2014-2015 affordability rankings for residential undergraduate accounting programs. The rankings include the thirty most affordable accounting schools based on annual tuition and fees for out-of-state incoming freshmen enrolling in the 2014-2015 academic year.
Brigham Young University took the top spot in the ranking with a tuition cost of $10,000. Brigham Young was also the only private school on the list, as the other 29 schools were all public institutions.
The average tuition cost of all the schools was around $16,200, with all schools in the rankings costing less than $18,500.
Additionally, only the 170 U.S. institutions with accounting accreditation from AACSB were considered by for the rankings. The publication limited its research to these schools citing AACSB accreditation is the best programmatic accreditation for accounting programs.
"While many students are familiar with AACSB accreditation for business programs and the prestige that comes from it, accounting students often do not know that AACSB also accredits accounting programs with a separate accreditation," said Dee Barizo, Accounting Degree Review editor, in a statement. "We chose to look only at programs with this accreditation to add quality control to our rankings. It's telling that only 170 schools in the nation have this type of accreditation. These schools have undergone extra scrutiny for their accounting programs and passed with flying colors. Therefore, while the schools in the ranking are low cost, it does not mean that they are lacking in education quality at all."
The following is a complete list of the ranked schools, listed in alphabetical order:
- Baruch College, The City University of New York - New York, New York
- Bowling Green State University - Bowling Green, Ohio
- Brigham Young University - Provo, Utah
- California State University, Fullerton - Fullerton, California
- Cleveland State University - Cleveland, Ohio
- Grand Valley State University - Allendale, Michigan
- Kent State University - Kent, Ohio
- Marshall University - Huntington, West Virginia
- Mississippi State University - Mississippi State, Mississippi
- Missouri State University - Springfield, Missouri
- Morgan State University - Baltimore, Maryland
- Nicholls State University - Thibodaux, Louisiana
- San Diego State University - San Diego, California
- Southeastern Louisiana University - Hammond, Louisiana
- Truman State University - Kirksville, Missouri
- University of Central Missouri - Warrensburg, Missouri
- University of Illinois at Chicago - Chicago, Illinois
- University of Nebraska at Omaha - Omaha, Nebraska
- University of South Alabama - Mobile, Alabama
- University of South Florida - Tampa, Florida
- University of South Florida St. Petersburg - St. Petersburg, Florida
- University of Southern Indiana - Evansville, Indiana
- University of Southern Mississippi - Hattiesburg, Mississippi
- University of Texas at Arlington - Arlington, Texas
- University of Texas at El Paso - El Paso, Texas
- Utah State University - Logan, Utah
- Weber State University - Ogden, Utah
- Western Illinois University - Macomb, Illinois
- Wichita State University - Wichita, Kansas
- Wright State University - Dayton, Ohio
For the full rankings and more information, head to Accounting Degree Review's site here.