[IMGCAP(1)]Based on this recent article from SmartMoney, how do you feel about using your smartphone as a wallet? As retailers, shops and businesses across the country embrace the ability to take mobile payments right off of your cell phone, consumers will be faced with the decision of whether or not to take on this new technology and discontinue using their wallets.
My wallet is quite oversized and carries my entire life. From identification to insurance cards, credits cards to photos and mementos, it’s got everything I need in it, and if I were to lose it, I’d have that horrible sinking feeling of panic set in quickly!
Also, because I am very into fashion and style, I have a few different wallets that I enjoy using for different reasons. They are many different colors, patterns and materials; some are oversized and easy to find in my handbag, while others are slimmer and fit better into an evening bag or clutch for times when I only need a few things.
I don’t know if I’ll be an early adopter and embrace paying for all of my purchases on my iPhone, but as technology shifts and cell phone-facilitated payments become more and more the norm, I suppose I may be making the move to go wallet-less (at least for payment-related stuff—I know I won’t give up the fashionable wallets I love!)
My first experience using my iPhone for payment was at the Apple store, when I needed some accessories for my iPad. I was really impressed by the ease of use to pay for what I needed right then and there using my Apple account (connected to a credit card), and walked through the process by a very helpful Apple store employee. It was pretty cool but boy, could it get me in trouble. Zap! There, I’ve paid for one thing. Zap! Now, another. Could get dangerous and result in an unnecessary spending spree!
Whether or not you decide to embrace this new technology, I thought I’d share some great wallets that incorporate a few of the upcoming fall trends that you may already be seeing in your local shops. Summer items are on clearance or completely gone by now, and it’s time for back-to-school shopping and preparing for fall apparel and accessories. Think luxe, rich and textured for this upcoming season, and welcome it into your wardrobe!
For the ladies
1. Jewel tones: Big for fall, the various colors and rich color tones that resemble gemstones (ruby, emerald, amethyst, citrine, etc.).
2. Animal prints and texture: A classic fall trend that returns year after year. Envision your local zoo—leopard, snake and even giraffe!
3. Unique hardware: Buttons, buckles, studs, rivets and clasps, oh my!
For the gentlemen
1. The Classic: Envision beautifully crafted rich leathers in browns, blacks and greys. You can’t go wrong with a quality made leather men’s wallet for fall. Many brands also carry matching travel accessories which are great for your business travel needs.
2. The Sporty: A little more fun, playful and athletic, there are many wallet styles for men in nylon and other less formal materials.
3. The Hip: A great way to show off your personal style, or start a conversation, there are many men’s wallet styles that geared more to the artist or rocker type, so, even though you may be “buttoned up” at work, consider choosing a wallet that says something special about yourself.
I hope you enjoy the looks featured and make sure to stay tuned for more information about fall trends to come in an upcoming blog post!
Emily Alexandria Burns is a State University of New York Fashion Institute of Technology graduate and started her career in New York City working for companies including Giorgio Armani Le Collezioni, Christian Dior and Jones Apparel Group. She is now e-marketing communications specialist for Freed Maxick & Battaglia CPAs in Buffalo, N.Y., and recently named the Association for Accounting Marketing's 2011 "Rookie of the Year." Follow her on Twitter @FreedMaxickPR or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.