In the blogs: Implications of Amazon
March 28, 2017, 11:57 a.m. EDT
‘Shocking’ Medicare fraud; appealing ACA determinations; tangible property regs; other highlights from our favorite tax bloggers.
Implications of Amazon
- IRS Tax Trouble (http://www.irstaxtrouble.com/category/tax-blog/): A look at Amazon Inc. v. Commissioner , and how the facts in Amazon case involve a structure widely used by U.S. Fortune 500 companies.
- M&A (http://taxaid.com/blog/): Another look at the U.S. Tax Court ruling against the IRS in the recent Amazon case – including that the service used methodologies the court had already knocked down in another transfer pricing lawsuit eight years ago.
- Federal Tax Crimes (http://federaltaxcrimes.blogspot.com/): In United States v. Williams, the Circuit Court affirms convictions for tax perjury. It was the defendant’s arguments for reversal of the convictions that caught this blogger’s attention.
- Due Diligence (http://www.mahanyertl.com/mahanyertl/): In this week’s collection: “False Claims Act 101 – Intervened Cases vs Declined Cases” and “Doc Injects Patients with Poison in Shocking Medicare Fraud Plot.”
- Don’t Mess With Taxes (http://dontmesswithtaxes.typepad.com/): The first sea swell of procrastinating: 70½-year-old Boomers face an April Fool’s Day tax deadline to take that first RMD from certain deferred accounts. Where did the time go?
- Liberty Tax (https://www.libertytax.com/tax-lounge/): While You Still Can Dept.: Appealing a decision by the Health Insurance Marketplace concerning given coverage and the ACA.
All in the numbers
- Sageworks (https://www.sageworks.com/blog/default.aspx): Tax and audit may be recurring avenues for cash for your practice, but valuation often turns into a one-time service. Four questions to pose to business owners to secure more of these engagements.
- The Income Tax School (http://www.theincometaxschool.com/blog/): Sure, you’re shackled to your desk and screen as we enter the season’s sluice run, but that doesn’t mean you lack a second to employ one of these “7 Ways to Show Appreciation to Employees (and Clients) During Tax Season.”
- Rubin on Tax (http://rubinontax.floridatax.com): A recent “detailed … and also somewhat long” paper looks at four recent cases dealing with willfulness in context of civil FBAR penalties.”
Letters and loves
- Tax Girl (http://blogs.forbes.com/kellyphillipserb): The annual alphabetic tax-term examination looks at “J Is for Junk Bonds.”
- John R. Dundon II EA (http://johnrdundon.com/): 2017 vehicle depreciation limitations. Thought for the day: “We all love our bonus depreciation!”
- Summing It Up (http://blog.freedmaxick.com/summing-it-up): What taxpayers need to know about new tangible property regulations.
- AG Tax (http://agtax.ca/tax-tips-and-articles): U.S./Canada wrinkles (see “tax drawbacks”) of holding a principal residence or vacation property for too long before selling.