What are the ingredients to a successful career? Depending on who you are, the recipe may differ. But here are some career tips for the up and coming accountant:
We already know those who complete accounting programs benefit from excellent training. They have strong communication and interpersonal skills and technical knowledge. Prior to graduation, they are able to build upon practical experience, as well.
But we also know it takes more. Consider the following:
1) Believe in yourself. If you exude confidence, your colleagues and clients will pick you for projects for that level of competency showcased. Believe in yourself and never think that you cannot have the career you imagine.
2) Always be willing to try out new things and be ready to face failure as well. Accountants who have been successful in their careers have recognized that there is more to getting ahead than simply getting the work done. Dont hesitate to try new things. The best learning experiences often follow failure.
3) It always helps to set a goal and then work toward it. Try and create a personal strategic plan and identify your professional and personal goals. You also need to think realistically about your weaknesses and strengths and allocate your energy and time toward the execution of plans.
Seems these tips can be applicable to all generations. For more advice, visit here.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access