Sales and use tax compliance automation provider Avalara Inc. has released TrustFile for QuickBooks to help users of the accounting software file sales tax returns.
The cloud-based TrustFile for QuickBooks lets small businesses using both QB Online and QB Desktop import sales tax data, and then automatically prepare and file returns.
“We’ve had a determination engine on QuickBooks desktop for years, but it’s been primarily the bigger desktop customers that have been using it,” said Marshal Kushniruk, executive vice president of product at Avalara, in an interview. “But there’s a whole market of desktop customers who are very small that need to do returns, just like QuickBooks Online customers, so we’ve built this connector for both desktop and online. Even though the whole world is going online, it will be years for some of these desktop users to convert.”
Kushniruk noted that as many as 2 to 3 million companies out there may still be using QB Desktop, and of those, 200,000 to 300,000 companies could benefit from TrustFile for QuickBooks. “We’ve extended our connectors so that ProAdvisors can service these customers from a returns perspective,” he said, “but also as they transition online, it will then be a painless transition, because all the setup they’ve done will still work.”
“The return side might even help transition some of these Desktop users to online, because they’ll see how easy it is to do returns online,” Kushniruk noted. “It may be easier to transition the Desktop customers to online because they’ve had that good experience.”
TrustFile users will be able to:
- Import unlimited transactions from either QBO or QB Desktop.
- Review sales tax filing deadlines and summary information in a dashboard view, and review and file returns in just minutes.
- Access up-to-date state sales tax reports by jurisdiction.
- Automatically prepare sales tax returns to file in all 50 states.
- File returns from Avalara’s dashboard without having to navigate each state’s submission sites.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access