Expensify wins big in Cannes for 2 Chainz video
Expense management solution provider Expensify won seven awards at the Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity for its 2 Chainz music video starring actor Adam Scott. Among the awards were the top prize, the Gold Lion, in the categories of Production of Exclusive Artist Content in Partnership with a Brand or a Cause, and Use of Original Music.
The video, created in partnership with the New York production company JohnXHannes, accompanies rapper 2 Chainz’s song “Expensify This.” It features Adam Scott, of NBC’s “Parks and Recreation” fame, as a Type A head of finance for the musician’s record label, overly concerned with the band saving receipts. Expensify is featured as the solution to the band’s lack of concern for doing so.
Expensify and JohnXHannes were selected from a total of 30,953 entries across 89 countries as “the global benchmark for excellence in creativity and effectiveness for the year ahead.” "Expensify This" received the following awards:
- Entertainment for Music - Gold Lion: Production of Exclusive Artist Content in Partnership with a Brand or a Cause
- Film Craft - Gold Lion: Use of Original Music
- Digital Craft - Silver Lion: Cross-channel Storytelling
- Direct - Silver Lion: Launch / Re-launch
- Direct - Bronze Lion: Use of Mobile
- Entertainment - Bronze Lion: Excellence in Brand Integration & Sponsorships / Partnerships for Branded Content
- Entertainment - Bronze Lion: Talent: Digital & Social
“The global reception to the campaign has been incredible, and Cannes is the cherry on top,” said David Barrett, founder and CEO of Expensify, in a statement. “We’re super proud of what we’ve created with JohnXHannes. From a creative perspective, they gave us the secret sauce that made our debut on the world stage an extra special one. From a business perspective, they were willing to get uncomfortable and follow us so far outside our industry, which was critical because nobody loves expense reports. Our teams were in sync from the start, and the impact stretched far beyond our imagination.”
The “Expensify This” video can be viewed at expensifythis.com.