The Internal Revenue Service has posted information on how tax-exempt organizations can claim the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit.

In a recently updated Frequently Asked Questions page about the tax credit, the IRS stated that a tax-exempt employer as described in Section 501(c) of the Tax Code that is exempt from tax under Section 501(a) can claim the refundable credit by filing a Form 990-T with an attached Form 8941 showing the calculation of the claimed credit.

The tax credit, provided as part of the health care reform bill, is designed to encourage small employers to offer health care coverage. A qualifying employer must cover at least 50 percent of the cost of health care coverage for some of its workers based on the single rate.

A qualifying employer also must have less than the equivalent of 25 full-time workers (for example, an employer with fewer than 50 half-time workers may be eligible).

A qualifying employer must also pay average annual wages below $50,000. Both taxable (for profit) and tax-exempt firms qualify.

The credit is worth up to 35 percent of a small business’ premium costs in 2010 or 25 percent of a tax-exempt organization’s. On Jan. 1, 2014, this rate increases to 50 percent (35 percent for tax-exempt employers).

The credit phases out gradually for firms with average wages between $25,000 and $50,000 and for firms with the equivalent of between 10 and 25 full-time workers.

For more information on the Small Business Health Care Credit and FAQs, visit

Register or login for access to this item and much more

All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.

Community members receive:
  • All recent and archived articles
  • Conference offers and updates
  • A full menu of enewsletter options
  • Web seminars, white papers, ebooks

Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access