The Virginia Society of CPAs announced their Outstanding Member of the Year and Top 5 Members Under 35 at their annual meeting earlier this month in Williamsburg.
The Outstanding Member award looks to recognize the top Society member who showed notable involvement in VSCPA activities and philanthropic efforts that also promote the CPA profession. Gary Thomson, regional managing partner Dixon Hughes Goodman in Richmond, was named the 2017 recipient. Thomson previously served on the VSCPA Political Action Committee Board of Trustees, vice chair of the VSCPA Board of Directors and former chair of the Virginia Chamber of Commerce and its local Colonial Heights chapter.
The Top 5 Under 35 Award highlights young CPAs under the age of 35 that have contributed to the Society on the state or chapter level, showed community involvement, and promotion of the CPA profession.
2017 winners include:
- Richard Groover, 32, shareholder at Wall, Einhorn & Chernitzer in Norfolk. He serves as chair-elect of the VSCPA Board of Directors and previously served on the VSCPA’s audit and finance committees and the LEAD Task Force, also presenting on VSCPA’s "You Can Afford College" workshops.
- Stephen Kimberlin, 30, tax manager at Dixon Hughes Goodman in Richmond. Kimberlin serves as the VSCPA's firm ambassador for Dixon Hughes Goodman and works on the VSCPA's Young Professionals Advisory Council.
- Nick Preusch, 32, tax manager at PBMares in Fredericksburg. Preusch acts as an instructor for the VSCPA's Virginia-Specific Ethics course and co-authored the book, Tax Preparer Penalties and Circular 230 Enforcement, He is also an adjunct professor of accounting at the University of Mary Washington.
- Brett Sinsabaugh, 32, manager of business assurance and advisory services at Keiter in Glen Allen. Sinsabaugh is involved with the Society's advocacy efforts as a member of the VSCPA Political Action Committee Board of Trustees and additionally participated in the VSCPA Leadership Academy.
- Lauren Soles, 29, recruiting manager at Vaco Richmond. Soles serves on the VSCPA's programs for young professionals and is co-chair of the Young Professionals Advisory Council.
For more on the VSCPA, head to the Society's site here.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access