The election of Witzany, as well as the rest of the Global Board, was held at the IIA’s annual business meeting following the organization’s 75th International Conference in New York City.
“Angela is among the most inspiring and passionate young leaders in internal auditing who will bring energy and drive to The IIA at a dynamic time in our profession,” said IIA president and CEO Richard Chambers, per a statement. “I am thrilled with her election as our new global chairman.”
Witzany, head of internal audit at Sparkassen Versicherung AG, is implementing “Audit Never Sleeps” as her theme as chairman. Witzany hopes to remind practitioners that they must always be ready to handle the challenges that face their organizations.
“Internal auditors have sought to add value to their organizations by working tirelessly and passionately to meet the evolving expectations of stakeholders and to become trusted advisers and partners to boards, audit committees, and management,” Witzany said in a statement.
Witzany previously served as chairman and senior vice chairman of IIA-Austria’s board, a board member of the European Confederation of Institutes of Internal Auditing (ECIIA), and completed her term as vice president last year. Witzany has also been a member of the IIA’s Global Board of Directors since 2013, serving as senior vice chairman and chairman of the Finance Committee and the Professional Guidance Advisory Council.
Other officers elected to The IIA’s Global Board for 2016-2017 include:
- Senior Vice Chairman: J. Michael Peppers, chief audit executive for the University of Texas System in Austin, Texas.
- Vice Chairman – Professional Certifications: Charlotta Lofstrand Hjelm, chief internal auditor for LFAB Lansforsakringar AB in Stockholm, Sweden
- Vice Chairman – Professional Practices: Naohiro Mouri, chief auditor of AIG Japan in Tokyo.
- Vice Chairman – Professional Guidance - Charles Wright, vice president of internal audit for Devon Energy Corporation in Oklahoma City.
- Vice Chairman – Global Services - Karem Toufic Obeid, chief audit executive for the Tawazun Economic Council in Abu Dhabi, UAE
- Vice Chairman – Research - Frank O’Brien, vice president of internal audit, business ethics, and integrity at Olin Corp. in East Alton, Ill.
- Vice Chairman – Finance/Treasurer - J. Michael Joyce Jr., vice president, chief auditor and compliance officer for Blue Cross Blue Shield Association in Chicago.
- Past Chairmen - Larry Harrington and past IIA global board chairman Anton van Wyk will serve on the IIA’s Executive Committee.
For more on the IIA, head to the Institute's site here.