The Internal Revenue Service recently issued a notice outlining how individuals and businesses can obtain refunds and credits on their 2006 returns of the long-distance telephone excise tax.

The notice says that individuals can either claim a standard amount -- $30 for singles, or $60 for married couples with two or more children -- on Form 1040. The alternative is to file a claim for the actual excise taxes paid between March 1, 2003, and July 31, 2006, on Form 8913, “Credit for Federal Telephone Excise Tax Paid.”

Register or login for access to this item and much more

All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.

Community members receive:
  • All recent and archived articles
  • Conference offers and updates
  • A full menu of enewsletter options
  • Web seminars, white papers, ebooks

Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access