* IRS SUSPENDS PLAN TO CLOSE ASSISTANCE CENTERS: The Internal Revenue Service will scrap its plans to close 68 Taxpayer Assistance Centers after Congress insisted the agency further study the potential impact of the closures.
In a statement issued in late July, IRS Commissioner Mark W. Everson thanked Congress for upping funding for the 2006 budget. The Senate Appropriations Committee fully funded the $10.68 billion that President Bush requested for the IRS, and the House has already passed a bill providing $10.56 billion. The IRS's 2005 budget is $10.24 billion.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access