Thomson Reuters has released courses to help tax practitioners get ready for the Internal Revenue Service’s Registered Tax Return Preparer examination, meet annual continuing professional education requirements, and monitor their progress.
The new courses are being released under Thomson Reuters’ Checkpoint Learning brand of CPE courses. They are aimed at meeting the IRS’s recent requirements for tax preparers to pass a competency exam to become Registered Tax Return Preparers. The IRS is also beginning to require RTRPs to complete 15 annual continuing education credits.
“To help preparers meet these requirements, we’ve developed more than 180 continuing education courses in a variety of media formats,” said Thomson Reuters vice president of learning solutions Ken Koskay in a statement. “Plus, we’ve launched the Registered Tax Return Preparer CPE Package, an annual subscription that includes the online courses to meet annual IRS requirements and an automated compliance tracking tool. Customers who subscribe this year will also receive a comprehensive online exam preparation course for free with this package,”
Checkpoint Learning’s products for RTRPs include:
• IRS exam preparation courses that cover various topics that tax preparers must understand to pass the IRS’s exam, such as collecting taxpayer data, reporting income and assets, treatment of deductions and credits, and industry ethics. Courses are available for CPE credit in online, live seminar, and webinar formats, authored (respectively) under Thomson Reuters product lines: MicroMash, Gear Up, and Checkpoint Learning Webinars.
• CPE courses, which address the IRS’s annual CPE credit requirements, covering topics such as federal tax law, federal tax updates, Form 1040, Schedules C and F expenses, income, capital gains, deductions, depreciation, credits, penalties, issues, and more. These courses are available in interactive online, webinar, downloadable self-study, and live seminars from Thomson Reuters brands: PASS Online, MicroMash, PPC, Quickfinder, Gear Up, AuditWatch, and Checkpoint Learning Webinars.
• RTRP Regulator, which allows users to search and identify courses that fulfill the IRS’s annual CPE requirements and automates submission of course completion results. It provides a history of courses, a calendar of upcoming activities, email reminders, and printable certificates.
Checkpoint Learning’s RTRP bundled subscription includes:
• RTRP CPE Package, which includes 16 interactive online courses that meet the IRS’s annual CPE requirements, the RTRP Regulator for CPE tracking, and for a limited time, an online IRS exam preparation course. In addition, three Quickfinder handbooks (including the 1040 Handbook edition that is customized for RTRPs) can be added for additional cost-savings.
For more information, visit http://cl.thomsonreuters.com/CPESolutions/TaxPreparers or call (800) 231-1860.
Register or login for access to this item and much more
All Accounting Today content is archived after seven days.
Community members receive:
- All recent and archived articles
- Conference offers and updates
- A full menu of enewsletter options
- Web seminars, white papers, ebooks
Already have an account? Log In
Don't have an account? Register for Free Unlimited Access