I will be presenting a two-hour program on how to start an accounting practice on June 5 in Iselin, N.J., and June 8 in Manhattan. The program will be from 5:00 to 6:40. There is a $75 charge, but anyone reading this column is invited to attend for no charge. For those readers not in the area or who cannot attend, I will email the handout at no charge. The information is at the end of this column.
Here is a brief description of some of the topics covered. This condenses an eight-hour program into two hours. This program will be a wild ride on everything you need to consider when starting a practice, including a three-question quiz that can determine if you are suitable to have your own practice:
• Understanding what being in business entails;
• A quick discussion of the 64 things you need to do when you start your business;
• Five ways to get into your own practice;
• Pros and cons of per diem work;
• What to read and podcasts to listen to and courses to take;
• Physical vs. virtual location, or both;
• Your first two years;
• How to get business;
• The differences in marketing and selling and why you need to do both;
• Does traditional marketing still work;
• Role of social media and how to use it effectively;
• One-page business plan;
• One-page marketing plan;
• Launching your reputation;
• Establishing expertise for $150;
• Complete details of three services you can advertise and get business from;
• The single most important factor that attracts clients;
• How to make clients understand your value;
• How to best use the 50 percent of your time that is not spent on client work;
• Pricing your services and setting fees.
The program is part of our Withum Partners’ Network and is offered to assist colleagues in getting into their own practice. It is an add-on to an all-day CPE program we will be presenting those days.
The program on June 5 will be at the Renaissance Woodbridge Hotel, 515 US-1, Iselin, N.J. 08830 and on June 8 at our offices at 1411 Broadway, 9th Floor, New York, N.Y. If you want to attend the New Jersey program, contact Ashley Krompier at firstname.lastname@example.org or 732-828-1614, or to attend the New York program contact Jessica Forenza at email@example.com or 212-751-9100. If you want the handout that will be emailed to you a few days after June 8, send me an email at this special email address (so it won’t overload my regular in box): GoodiesFromEd@withum.com.
Edward Mendlowitz, CPA, is partner at WithumSmith+Brown, PC, CPAs. He is on the Accounting Today Top 100 Influential People List. He is the author of 24 books, including “How to Review Tax Returns,” co-written with Andrew D. Mendlowitz, and “Managing Your Tax Season, Third Edition.” Ed also writes a twice-a-week blog addressing issues that clients have at www.partners-network.com. Art of Accounting is a continuing series where Ed shares autobiographical experiences with tips that he hopes can be adopted by his colleagues. Ed welcomes practice management questions and can be reached at (732) 964-9329 or firstname.lastname@example.org.